Friday, November 09, 2007

COMM 393: RE: Senior Portfolios/due dates reflective essay

When you get your formal assignment sheets in Communications 393 (Senior Portfolio), I'll elaborate on the due date for the self-reflective essay that goes with the senior portfolio. But I'm also sending out an email message now giving you a heads-up on it, so you can plan ahead.

The self-reflective essays papers are due Monday, Nov. 26, the first day of the week after Thanksgiving and the week before finals. Email them to me at pellertsen@sci.edu and/or peterellertsen@yahoo.com ... please also include a paper copy of the self-reflective essay in the Senior Portfolio Folder that you leave with me during our end-of-semester conference. I will schedule them later.

2. During the rest of that week, from Tuesday, Nov. 27, through Friday, Nov. 30, I will accept late papers but deduct 10 points -- i.e. a letter grade -- from the grade on the paper.

3. During the week of final exams, I will deduct another five points for each additional day the paper is late -- for a total of 15 points Monday, Dec. 3; 20 points Tuesday, Dec. 4; 25 points Wednesday, Dec. 5; 30 points Thursday, Dec. 6; and 35 points Friday, Dec. 7.


I don't like deducting points for late papers, especially for college seniors. But a few of the students who are registered for COMM 393 have been so irregular in their attendance, I believe I need to set clear deadlines and penalties. In order not to discriminate against anybody, I am obligated to set the same policies for everyone.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please don't hestitate to contact me.

-- Pete Ellertsen, instructor, COMM 393

No comments: