Friday, March 11, 2016

Sarah Silverman trumps Godwin's Law in full Hitler drag on Conan O'Brien's show

Sorry about the pun -- I can't let go of it, and I can't help myself!

More and more pundits have hinted lately that Donald Trump has fascist tendencies, and a New York Daily News cover flatly says, "Trump is Hitler."

Not much nuance there.

And it's a violation of Godwin's law, which holds that "sooner or later [in an online discussion] someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism" and "once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress."

So I guess it was inevitable that Hitler would appear on TV to clear his name.

Or, more accurately, that comedian Sarah Silverman, dressed as Adolf Hitler, would appear on Conan O’Brien's late-night talk show Thursday to say her character resents being associated with Trump.

Screen grab of Silverman as Hitler

Reports The Daily Beast this morning:

Out walked Sarah Silverman in full Nazi attire to a wild ovation from the audience. “That’s more applause than I expected,” she deadpanned. Silverman’s Hitler wanted to “clear the air” over what he viewed as “unfavorable” comparisons to Trump.

“Don’t get me wrong, Conan, I agree with a lot of what he says. A lot. Like 90 percent of what he says, I’m like this guy gets it,” Hitler admitted. “But it’s just, I don’t like the way he says it. It’s crass, you know?

“What kind of person talks about his penis size on national television?” Hitler asked. As someone who “famously has a micropenis,” he added, “that’s what makes a tyrant.”

“All these comparisons to Trump, it’s like, it bums me out, you know what I mean?” Hitler continued. “Sometimes I watch him and I’m like, ‘Is that how people see me?’ And I have to be honest, Trump, he’s starting to make me rethink some of the things I’ve done.” After a pause, Hitler added, “Ah, who am I kidding? I got to be me!”

No comments: